Cheesy Mushroom Spinach Puff Pastry
Serves 2 People
This recipe is adapted from Whitney Bond's recipe.
We felt that the original recipe was not cheesy enough and needed more mushrooms, and I felt it had too much spinach.
It takes about 15 minutes to pepare, and then 25 minutes in the oven.
- 2 tablespoons of butter,
- 1 lb. (450 g) of mushrooms,
- 2 cloves garlic (minced),
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach (or 1½ cups of frozen spinach),
- ½ teaspoon of salt,
- ½ teaspoon black pepper,
- 200g of goat-cream-cheese,
- 1 sheet of puff pastry,
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon milk water (whisked together to make an egg wash I usually add some salt too),
- about ½ a cup of grated parmesan to sprinkle on top.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C,
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, then add the butter,
- Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms, and sauté for 5-7 minutes,
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes,
- Add the spinach and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top (if using frozen spinach, add it about 2 minutes before finishing step 3, to give it time to defrost),
- Sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes, then turn the heat off and set the skillet aside,
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out on to a large piece of baking paper,
- Slice the puff pastry as in the photo to the right,
- Place the sauteed mushrooms, spinach and goat-cheese in the middle,
- Once the entire puff pastry is wrapped, transfer it on the parchment paper to a baking sheet,
- Put it in the oven to bake for 15 minutes,
- Open the oven, brush on the egg wash, sprinkle on the parmesan and close the oven, to bake for another 10 minutes,